The legacy of a good leader is how many people you leave behind in other leadership positions
Growing up, and even through college, Dave Gaston never thought much about the education field as his career choice.
Law school, maybe. Publishing, perhaps.
Having grown up surrounded by veteran educators, teaching just wasn’t something he wanted to chase.
But when something is in your blood – Dave’s mother was a 40+ year music teacher, his father a dentist who started out as a biology and physics teacher (and they met and fell in love in a teachers’ lounge) – education will find you.
“Teaching and education is a profession you have to get, you have to like, you have to love,” Dave said. “Even after 30 years, I still love teaching. I still love helping other people, supporting other people, because that’s what education does.”
Prior to founding Gaston Educational Consulting, LLC, Dave served the public for 30 years, culminating his public service career as the Division Superintendent for Charles City Public Schools in Charles City, Virginia. Prior to serving in that position, Dave was a classroom teacher, elementary, middle, and high school assistant principal and principal and central office administrator with the York County School Division, Hampton City Schools, and Williamsburg-James City (WJCC) County Public Schools for 24 years.
Dave continues to teach as an adjunct professor at the Darden School of Education at Old Dominion University, where he has facilitated undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level courses in Educational Leadership Studies and Teaching and Learning for the past 14 years.
It’s perhaps his current role as a consultant that Dave finds the most rewarding.
In many ways, he said, he’s teaching the teachers, and helping today’s educational leader build their own legacies.
“The legacy of a good leader is how many people you leave behind in other leadership positions,” Dave said. “I want to see people thrive, I want to see people grow.”
Growth comes from reorganizing, reallocating, developing and executing strategic initiatives that significantly improve organizational and academic achievement, team building and organizational culture – all services provided through Gaston Educational Consulting, LLC.
Dave holds a B.A, M.A.Ed., and Ed.D. degrees from The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg.
Education is the vehicle to do bigger things
- Strategic Planning. Quite simply, Strategic Planning is the heart and soul of an organization. In these sessions and consultation, Dr. Gaston gets at the bottom of what an organization wants to accomplish, who they are, what they feel is important (not just what they say is important), and what fuels their passion. Unlocking those pieces helps Dr. Gaston develop a strategic plan for an organization – a roadmap and blueprint to guide them – and how to measure their plans effectiveness.
- Curriculum & Instruction. Take a deeper dive into your instructional program and align it with the curriculum. Sure, schools and states have standards of learning. But standards of learning do not tell educators how to teach. With consultation on Curriculum & Instruction, Dr. Dave Gaston gets beyond surface learning, developing ways for systems to implement project-based learning, see educational opportunities from different perspectives and take assessments that are meaningful.
- Leadership Training. “We are all leaders. We all have leadership inside of us. We just have to unlock it.” That’s what Dr. Gaston tells his clients and it’s how he leads them in his Leadership Training.
- Organizational Development. Your organization has a strategic plan. There are leaders in place. But somehow along the lines the dynamics of the team has fallen through the cracks. As part of his background in efficiencies, Dr. Gaston analyzes organizations to ensure the structure is set up to harness its best possible results.
- Team Building. Just putting the right people in the right positions during an organizational development and structuring process doesn’t mean you have also taken a look at the personalities serving in those roles. Building an effective team requires honest conversations, thoughtful dialogue and coming together. Dr. Gaston facilitates that Team Building.
Commonwealth Learning Partnership
The Commonwealth Learning Partnership is a network of education nonprofit organizations and schools of education across Virginia that share a collective goal to modernize the Commonwealth’s K-12 education system through Equity, Engagement and Empowerment. We support efforts to ensure Virginia students graduate with a rich knowledge base and skills to succeed in the future. We aim to take the Profile of a Virginia Graduate from vision to practice by investing in the continuing professional learning and upskilling of educators and education leaders. We maintain close communication with all partners and work with policymakers, educators and community members to ensure Virginia students graduate with a rich knowledge base and skills for the future.
Shaffer Evaluation Group, LLC
Founded in 2006, the Shaffer Evaluation Group works with education partners — school districts, colleges and universities, government agencies, and nonprofits — to develop educational programs that address and correct long-standing inequities in education so that all children and youth can excel.
David W. Gaston, Ed.D.
Gaston Educational Consulting, LLC
205 Par Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23188
For booking or any other information, feel free to get in touch!